Vitus Escarpe 29 VR Bike
Vitus emerged as a frame builder in 1970s France, their Bikes played a key role in pioneering the design and manufacture of lugged and bonded aluminium frames. Probably the most iconic being their 979, ground-breaking at the time and still prized among collectors almost 50-years on.
Vitus Bikes assert that, “we’re riders first and foremost”. All kinds of riders at all levels and disciplines and the bikes they make are the bikes they want to ride. This is the passion that drives the Vitus brand while they aim for a perfect balance of fun and efficiency.
WIGGLE & CHAIN REACTION CYCLES
Vitus Bikes are sold exclusively through online retailers Wiggle & Chain Reaction Cycles and are built to explore every off-road route and climb the steepest hills, the hard-riding off-roader can find.
With 140mm of rear travel, the Escarpe makes for a difference making trail bike. Built to ascend with ease and using its modern geometry to hold steady on the descent. This full suspension MTB is on Black Friday offers at Chain Reaction Cycles worldwide in 29er size with savings of 15% in the run-up to Black Friday.
High-Performance, Alloy-Framed, Full Suspension MTB
“This VR model comes equipped with the high performance 150mm RockShox Lyrik Select Charger RC fork and 140mm RockShox RS Deluxe Select+ RT rear shock to eat up the most rugged terrains. It also features SRAM NX Eagle 12-speed gearing, SRAM Guide T disc brakes, plus internal dropper post routing for the Brand-X Ascend dropper post. The Vitus Escarpe 29 VR Bike (NX Eagle 1×12) rolls upon DT Swiss XM1501 Spline 30 rims and 2.6” wide Maxxis 3C tyres, giving a tubeless-ready, high-grip and easy-handling performance as you flow along the singletrack”. (Chain Reaction Cycles)
I don’t disagree with anything CRC said about the Escarpe. From a rider point of view, it returns a beautiful ride and responds well in all conditions. It’s much more than a basic mountain bike and its components list ticked all the boxes. Handling inspires confidence and the ease it offers encourages me to ride harder, faster and further.
While it has a great component selection for the price and great efficiency, at 32lbs (14.5kg), it’s a little on the heavy side but overall performance compensates for that. It is after all a full-suspension bike so, it’s always going to be heavier than a hardtail.
One problem exists on the well-finished chassis. Vitus advertises that there’s space for tires up to 2.6-inch wide. While you may be able to squeeze in a 2.6” tire, the clearance over the top of the 29er, 2.4” rear tire it comes with is negligible. The 29er wheels, use up a lot of space behind the frame, and, the chainstays are not short with minimal clearance over the top of the seat stay bridge and a little more in the bottom bracket region. Those small margins are going to be potential mud collectors and more so if you put 2.6” tires on this otherwise excellent bike.
- Escarpe 6061-T6 alloy 29” frame with boost spacing and modern aggressive geometry
- 140mm rear suspension, 150mm front suspension
- SRAM 1×12 NX Eagle groupset
- Brand-X Ascend Internal Dropper Post
- Metric Trunnion mount shock with sealed bearing upper shock mount
- Tubeless-ready Maxxis 3C Tyres with tubeless rim tape fitted and valves included
- Frame: Escarpe 29″ 140mm travel full suspension frame, Boost, 6061 Alloy
- Fork: RockShox Lyrik Select Charger RC 150mm, 29″, Boost 15×110, 42mm offset, MXL Stealth, Debonair
- Rear Shock: RockShox RS Deluxe Select+ RT, 185×50, Debonair, 2 Tokens, ML Tune, 380LB Lockout Threshold, Trunnion Standard
- Headset: ACROS, ZS 44mm/56mm
- BB Parts: SRAM DUB BSA, MTB73
- Handlebar: Nukeproof Horizon, AL7050, 25mm Rise, Back 9-deg, up 6-deg, Bar Diameter 31.8mm, Width – S-780mm, M-780mm, L-800mm, XL-800mm
- Stem: Nukeproof Neutron, 45mm, 31.8mm bar diameter, 0-deg rise
- Grip: Vitus, Tapered, single alloy clamp, sticky rubber
- Rims: WTB ST Light i30, TCS 2.0, 29″, 30mm inner diameter, 32 hole, Sleeved Joint
- Hubs: Front: Vitus DHF112, Boost 15x110mm, double sealed bearings, 32H, 6-Bolt; Rear: Vitus M5ER, Boost 12x148mm, double sealed bearings, 32H, Shimano 11-speed driver body, 6-Bolt
- Tires: Front: Maxxis Assegai, 29″x2.5″WT, 3C MaxxTerra/EXO+/TR; Rear: Maxxis Minnion DHR II, 29″x2.40″ WT, 3C MaxxTerra/EXO+/TR
- Spokes: Stainless-Steel, double-butted, black with brass nipples
- Chain: SRAM NX Eagle
- Crankset: SRAM NX Eagle, B148 DUB 170mm 30T
- Brakes: Front: SRAM GUIDE T, MatchMaker, 200mm Centerline Rotors; Rear: SRAM GUIDE T, MatchMaker, 180mm Centerline Rotors
- Rear Derailleur: SRAM NX Eagle, 12-speed
- Shifter: SRAM NX Eagle, MatchMaker-X Compatible 12-speed
- Freewheel: SRAM NX Eagle 11-50T, PG1230
- Saddle: Nukeproof Neutron
- Seatpost: Brand X Ascend, 31.6mm, left hand remote lever, S-100mm, M-125mm, L-150mm, XL-150mm
- Rear Hub Axle: Vitus 12mm x 181mm, M12, Pitch 1.5mm x Length 20mm
- Chain Guide: MRP 1x CS, 28-34T ISCG-05 Black
As I said, the offer is for a 29er but there is a choice of available frame sizes although some sizes are low on stock.
|Rec Rider Height (Imperial)||5′ 2″ – 5′ 6″||5′ 6″ – 5′ 10″||5′ 10″ – 6′ 2″||6′ 2″ – 6′ 7″|
|Rec Rider Height (Metric)||160 – 170cm||170 – 180cm||180 – 190cm||190 – 201cm|
|Rec Inside Leg (Imperial)||27″ – 30″||30″ – 32″||32″ – 34″||34″ – 37″|
|Rec Inside Leg (Metric)||71 – 76cm||76 – 81cm||81 – 86cm||86 – 94c|
Although they started out in the UK, CRC have a worldwide presence with great customer service (pre and after sales) and they have a 365 day returns policy.
Comments and Questions
Please leave yours below. The only bad question is the one that’s not asked. You will always receive a prompt response.
If you decide to purchase from CRC, I will receive a commission. Please understand that this is paid entirely by CRC and it is never added to the price advertised. If you would like to know more about this, click on the “Affiliate Links” menu item at the top of this page.
Just Ride Hard, Ride Fair, Nobody Hurt